Thursday 24 February 2011

Wowsa Life's a Beach!

:) Hiya hiya,

I am in amazing spirits. This wee hobby turned on-the-side job has got me using my brain. I have now done several serious hunts along the Fisherrow Beach and I am learning a thing or two about Musselburgh's history. First of all, there is a  TONNE of pottery on the beach. There is so much pottery that I got too tired and too annoyed to try and check if all of it was good enough for the discerning jewellery makers.

I started to wonder why there was so much pottery. Now most of it is plain cream but some is a very ugly but very unique grey. I have found partial jars, lots of them actually and lots of jar bottoms. Today I stumbled upon one with writing which I didn't keep (wishing now I had grr) but the dogs had decided to pee on it. Anyway it said "Musselburgh" across the bottom and "beer" on the top somewhere. I think what's scattered along the beach is beer mugs/jugs.

Now after done some really preliminary research there is an old pottery that used to make all kinds of different ceramics based in Musselburgh called the Newbiggings pottery. According to one archeology report I read they made ceramics out of grey clay that was sourced in Musselburgh. I'm gonna make myself pick a few of these jars up next time I'm out and have a proper look for one with a stamp to see if it is Newbiggings.

Anyway :) I found lots of amazing stuff out on the beach today. I got a new marble and she's a BEAUTY! I found not one but TWO more bottle stoppers and yellow glass for the first time today!!! It was quite a haul if I say so myself. No really it was quite a heavy haul and I am shattered now. Here's a picture of 2/3 of it.


But the best is to come when I wash my stash and see exactly what I picked up.

The miniglunker slept through most of our hunt today and I was confident letting the dogs free as the tide was out. That is totally the best time to seaglunk I've decided :)

Righto have fun out there today and hope you find a nice stash too!

xx Seaglunker Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment